For 6-8 people you need
1 1/2 lb. minced uncooked steak
1 tablespoon mixed herbs*
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 dessertspoon Worcestershire sauce
8 oz. onions
4 oz. bread
1/4 pint water
2 oz. dripping
2 lb. potatoes
1/2 pint tomato sauce,
1/4 pint single cream,
- Put minced beef into bowl with mixed herbs, chopped parsley, Worcestershire sauce and chopped onions.
- Cut bread into pieces and cover with cold water.
- Leave to soak through, then squeeze out most of the water
- Add the bread and seasoning to meat mixture
- Shape into cakes, dust with seasoned flour. Heat dripping.
- Fry until brown on each side, then lower heat and continue cooking through.
- Pile or pipe the mashed potatoes round the sides and at bottom of ovenproof dish,
put meat cakes on top, with tomato sauce, parsley, and cream if wished.