For 8 portions you need
3 large eggs
3-4 oz. castor sugar
2 1/2 oz. flour (plain can be used with no baking
powder or 1/2 level teaspoon, or self-raising flour)
1/2 oz. cocoa
1 tablespoon hot water
little castor sugar
1/4 pint whipped cream OR butter icing:
2 oz. butter
3 oz. sieved icing sugar
- Put the eggs and sugar into a large mixing bowl and whisk until the mixture is thick and creamy (you see the trail of the whisk) … if done over hot water continue beating until the mixture cools again.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa at least once.
- Fold gently into the egg mixture with a metal spoon – lastly fold in water.
- Pour into the tin lined with greased greaseproof paper.
- Bake for time and temperature given.
- Test cake before removing from oven – press with finger, if no impression remains the cake is cooked
- Turn on to sugared paper, lay piece of greaseproof paper on top, roll firmly. Allow sponge to cool.
- Whip the cream or beat the butter and icing sugar until soft and light.
- Unroll, remove paper, spread with cream or butter icing, roll, dredge with sugar.
Oven temperature: moderately hot to hot, 400-425°F. – Gas Mark 6-7
Oven position : near top