For 8-10 portions you need
1 oz. melted butter
2 oz. biscuits – sweet or semi-sweet
1 1/2 lb. cottage cheese
1 oz. butter
3 medium-sized eggs
6 oz. castor sugar
4 level tablespoons custard powder
squeeze lemon juice
1/2 pint double cream or evaporated milk
6 glace cherries
32 blanched almonds
- Brush sides and bottom of tin with butter and coat with coarsely crushed biscuits.
- Sieve cottage cheese, blend with rest of ingredients until smooth. Spread into the tin, levelling the top.
- Bake for time and temperature given.
- Allow to cool in the oven, in an electric oven which holds the heat for a little time,
have the door open a little — the cake will not sink if cooked slowly like
this but tends to fall if cooled suddenly.
- When cold top with whipped cream or whipped evaporated milk
and groups of ‘daisies’ made with the glace cherries and toasted blanched almonds.
Oven temperature: very moderate – 350°F -Gas Mark 3-4.
Oven position: centre