For 6-8 portions you need
4 oz. margarine
4 oz. castor sugar
4 oz. self-raising flour (or plain flour with 1 level
teaspoon baking powder)
2 oz. cornflour
For filling and topping
1 small punnet fresh strawberries
1 pint thick cream
1 egg white
sugar to taste
- Cream margarine and sugar until light and soft.
- Sieve the flour (or flour and baking powder) and cornflour.
- Add beaten eggs to creamed margarine, then fold in the flour with a metal spoon.
- Place mixture in the tins, flatten on top.
- Bake for time and temperature given until crisp and golden.
- Cool on wire cooling tray.
- Prepare strawberries; whip cream in one bowl and egg white in another, fold together and sweeten if wished.
- Cover one shortcake with some of the strawberries and cream.
- Top with second shortcake and rest of cream and fruit.
Oven temperature : 375-400°F.-Gas Mark 4-5
Oven position : second rung from top.