For 12-16 portions you need
8 oz. butter
8 oz. soft brown sugar
6 oz. black treacle. 4 eggs
8 oz. self-raising flour
2 oz. cocoa
Orange butter cream
5 oz. butter
10 oz. sieved icing sugar
grated rind and juice of 1 orange
1/4 pint evaporated milk
1/2 oz. butter
6 oz. plain chocolate
- Cream together butter, sugar and treacle until soft and light.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little sieved flour if the mixture shows signs of curdling.
- Fold in sieved flour and cocoa.
- Put into greased and floured or lined tin and bake for time given.
- Test to see if cooked by pressing firmly on top. allow to cool.
- Cream butter, icing sugar with the orange juice and rind, then split cake into three layers and sandwich with the orange cream.
- Coat cake with apricot jam.
- Heat milk and butter until nearly boiling, remove from heat, add the broken chocolate, stir until melted
- Pour chocolate over cake, set for a few minutes, then coat sides with vermicelli.
Oven temperature: moderate -350-375°F-GasMark4
Oven position: centre