For 4 people you need
1-1 1/2 lb. middle neck lamb
1/2-3/4 lb. onions
1 lb. carrots
1 1/4 pint stock OR water and stock cube
2 tablespoons tomato puree seasoning
pinch sage or mixed herbs
For the dumplings
8 oz. self-raising flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3-4 oz. suet
water to mix
- Divide the lamb into pieces and remove excess fat.
- Heat dripping.
- Fry peeled and sliced onions and carrots.
- Add meat and fry for a further 1 -2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the stock and tomato puree.
- Bring to the boil, add remaining ingredients, cover pan tightly.
- Simmer gently for 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Meanwhile make, the dumplings: Sift flour, salt and pepper together.
- Stir in suet and add enough cold water to give a soft but not sticky dough.
- Divide mixture into 8 and shape each into a ball.
- 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the dumplings to the stew.