For 4 people you need
4 oz. prawns – weight when skinned – see point 1
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 -1 tablespoon tomato puree or ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce*
2 tablespoons thick cream
this can be increased up to 1 tablespoon if wished
for a more piquant flavour or use few drops chilli
sauce or soy sauce .
- If using frozen prawns, defrost at room temperature – to hasten the process the packet could be put into COLD water for a while
– do not put in hot water otherwise the fish will be tough.
If using fresh prawns, put them for 1 minute in hot water and the skins come away quickly and easily
– leave a few with heads etc. on for garnish.
- Blend all the ingredients together for the dressing, except lettuce.
- Toss the prawns in this.
- Shred the lettuce very finely, for it has to be eaten with a spoon.
TO SERVE : Put the lettuce into the glasses, top with the prawns and garnish with prawns.
Serve with brown bread and butter and lemon.