For 6-8 portions you need
For the meringue case
3 egg whites
6 oz. castor sugar
For the custard cream
1 teaspoon cornflour
1/4 pint milk
3 egg yolks
1/4 pint thin cream
few drops vanilla essence
2 oz. sugar
3-4 tablespoons whipped cream (optional)
leaves of angelica
2 tablespoons sieved apricot jam
1-2 tablespoons water
- Beat the egg whites until very stiff.
- Gradually beat in half the sugar, then fold in the remainder.
- Cut a circle of the greaseproof paper, put it on to well-buttered or oiled tin,
then either pipe or spoon the meringue into a flan shape.
- If any meringue remains, pipe into a rose shape on the tray to use as a decoration,
- Dry off until crisp, allow to cool.
- To make custard cream: Blend cornflour with milk, put into a saucepan,
thicken, stirring well. Add the egg yolks, beaten with cream,*
vanilla essence and sugar and cook OVER A VERY LOW HEAT until thickened.
Cool, then fold in cream. Spread the custard cream over base of the meringue, then top with fruit and angelica leaves.
To keep fresh pears a good colour, either brush with jam glaze, or dip in lemon juice.
Oven temperature: very cool 225-250°F.-Gas Mark 0-1