For 5-6 people you need
1 1/2-2 lb. stewing steak
4-6 oz. kidney
1 oz. flour
1 oz. fat
1 pint stock
Rough puff pastry, made with 8 oz. flour etc.
Cut the meat into 1 -inch cubes,
roll in the seasoned flour
- Fry in the hot fat for a few minutes, then gradually blend in the stock and cook until the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Put a lid on the pan, lower the heat and simmer for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Allow the meat to cool, put a funnel in the pie dish, lift the meat into the dish with a little of the gravy save the rest to serve with the pie.
- Make the rough puff pastry
- Roll out the pastry and cover the pie.
- Form any scraps into leaves etc. for decoration, brush with a little milk and stick into position.
- Brush the pie with milk, and make a tiny slit over the funnel to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake at the higher temperature for 10 minutes, then lower the heat and cook for a further 20-30 minutes.
Oven temperature: very hot. 450-475°F. – Gas Mark 8-9
reducing to hot 400-425°F.-Gas Mark 6
Oven position: centre