For 4-6 people you need
1 medium sized smoked haddock
3 oz. rice* – long, medium grain – but not round grain rice
2 oz. butter
1 small onion
1 or 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Cut the haddock into neat pieces ant put into a pan with cold water, bring to the boil only, then remove the pan from the heat this method of poaching the fish prevents overcooking.
- Put the rice into the second pan with 1/4 pint water only, add seasoning, the bay leaf and lemon.
- Bring the water to the boil, stir briskly, cover the pan tightly, then lower the heat and cook slowly for approximately 15 minutes by this time the water will have been absorbed and the rice tender.
- Heat the butter and fry the finely chopped onion until tender, then add the fish and the rice and heat together.
- Pile on to a hot dish and top with halved eggs, sprigs of parsley and paprika pepper.